Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What I was thinking when I lied to nick

As my car sped along the valley of ashes soon to be entering the city, I told nick my story. The one

that I wanted him and everyone else to believe. I began by telling him about my wealthy family from

 the Midwest, San Francisco to be specific. I proceeded by informing him about my grand life

accomplishments such as graduating form oxford, hunting big game, collecting jewels, and being

awarded military metals in the war. All of which were not true. I had really dropped out of school

because I could no longer stand the shame of janitorial duties I order to attend school. I needed to

reinvent myself and making up my ideal life was the only way I knew how.  As I spoke to him with

such confidence I began to believe my own lies. The memories of running the streets and local

speakeasies drifted away the more I went into depth. That life was one I lived long ago and is behind

me. I can now focus on the ends to my means and that has always been the beautiful Daisy Buchanan.

 Everything was fitting together nicely, that was, up until I saw the skepticism in Nick's eyes. This did

 not cause me to panic for I have always been a smooth talker and a very convincing one I might add.

 I quickly produced a medal from Montenegro and picture of myself playing cricket at oxford in order

 to keep things going. Lying to me has become so natural but is all out of love. I lie to be what I never

 was and that is good enough for daisy. She has always had passions for the lavish lifestyle and I have

 always had passions for her. I would do anything for her to recognize me and have based my entire

life upon her ideal man.

No comments:

Post a Comment